speak! magazine


RACING TO THE TOP 


RIO HARYANTO’S STORY IS A
LESSON IN REFUSING TO GO ALONG
WITH THE ASSUMPTIONS THAT
HOLD US BACK FROM MAKING OUR
DREAM COME TRUE.


            It is hard not be in awe of Rio Haryanto. At 19, he is a word-class racer competing in the GP2 series and a national ambassador in an anti-drugs campaign. If that is not enough, the photogenic Rio is also blessed with good genes.
            But what makes him a true star is the fact that he dispels the stereo-type that a young, average-sized Asian from a developing country somehow couldn’t hack it in the elite Formula racing circles.
            Rio is currently competing in the GP2, which is considered a stepping stone for budding drivers looking to break into Formula One (F1). World champions such as Lewis Hamilton, Nico Rosberg and Timo Glock all earned their stripes in the GP2 before graduating to the F1 circuits.
            There have been few notable Asian racers in Formula racing, namely Kazumi Nakajima and Kamui Kobayashi from Japan, Alex Yoong from Malaysia and Karun Chandhok from India. The first Asian motor racer of note was Prince Birabongse Bhanudej of Thailand in the 1930s.
            “I did feel that people in this industry didn’t take me seriously in the early days of my career, possibly because of my skin color, age and

nationality. But things have changed since I wont Formula BMW Pacific in 2009,” says the soft-spoken Rio.
            While he seems destined to join the elite ranks of Asian F1 racers, he knows the road ahead will not be easy. In fact, the GP2 series has proved to be challenging for Rio.
            He failed to score any poits in barcelona’s Catalunya circuit in recent months, despite his impressive rounds in Bahrain previously.
            And as of May 2012, Rio and teammate Max Chilton of Marussia Carlin ranked  out of 13 competing teams.
           “I will need more practice and experience to really get the grip of the GP2 series. In achieving my goal as an f1 driver, I mustbe realistic – it will be a while before I can get there. But I will,” he says by phone from London, where he was training.
Runs in the family
            Contrary to what you might have read, Rio is neither an overnight sensation nor a spoilt brat with an expensive hobby.
Proverbial silver spoon in his mouth – he is heir to PT Solo Murni Kiky, a major stationary products supplier with a worldwide customer base – Rio maintains he worked hard to get where he is today.
But how did he get into car racing in the first place?
          ”Car racing runs in my family – my father, along with two older brothers, were professional racers in their own right,” says Rio, who is a business student at FTMS Global Academy, Singapore.
            “My father introduced me to go-kart when I was only five years old. I raced professionally when I was seven years old, and emerged as a second runner up. The following year, I snagged the first position.”
            Given  Rio’s  enthusiasm  and  talent, his father knew his  young  son  had  what  it  takes  to  be a  world-class racer.
            “I continuously  participated  in local  and  foreign go-kart  competitions  in  the  next  10  years. In  2008, I decided  to join  the Asian Renault  Formula  Championship  in China, which was  the first  formula  racing  competition  for me,” shares  Rio.
            He subsequently  won the 2009 Formula  BMW  Pacific, followed  by an impressive  debut  at  2100 GP3 series.
            “Car racing  is a complicated  sport, which  requires  more  that physical  and mental skills. O     ver  the years, I  observe  that  there  are a lot of  politics,  marketing  and  lobbying involved  in this  sport,” says  Rio, adding  that  those with the ability to network  usually have  a  bigger chance to  survive the business.
            “ My goal is not only to earn a spot in F1, but also to win the competition. “
Rio  cites the late Brazilian  F1 racer Aryton  Senna as his inspiration, because he was “ a very determined racer who managed to win three championships despite coming from the Third World.”

UP- CLOSE  AND  PERSONAL
Do your parents often nag?
No they don’t (laughs). They trust that I can take care of myself. Speaking from personal experience, juggling school and career isn’t easy but it is definitely manageable.
Care to share little known facts about you?
Having lived in Singapore since I was 12 years old, I am actually quite independent. With no help from a driver or maids, I had a pretty regular upbringing – I relied on the buses to get around.
What were your favorite subjects in school?
I enjoyed mathematics and science.
What’s your exercise regimen like?
I run and swim daily. I also do cardio, which help control my heartbeat and breathing. I occasionally do body weight to strengthen my core muscles, torso, hands and ankle.
Are you dating anyone at the moment?
No, I am not. Given my schedule, it is tough to date. But I do socialize when I have free time. My next break is at the end of the year. Let’s see if I get lucky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY SKINCARE ROUTINE

DIY Masker untuk kulit Berjerawat, Mencerahkan kulit dan Menyegarkan kulit!!!

Resensi Buku 17 Anak Indonesia Berprestasi Dunia